10k Race day

I like running middle-of-the-pack. As a vet (over 35) I don't hold dreams of being an athlete. I run simply because it makes me feel good. When I finish my heart is pumping, I have colour in my cheeks and I feel a sense of achievement and pride that my body is healthy and strong. And no matter what kind of bitchy/angry/depressed mood you may be in when you lace up your running shoes at the end of a long run you are calm and at peace. Surely it's the best natural antidepressant.

I enjoy entering local races because secretly I have a competitive streak to me and I push my myself further and faster when I am with other people (not to mention especially happy when I overtake men for some strange reason ^^). Its also good to know to know whether you are improving. As far as I know all races support a chosen charity so not only are you keeping fit you are donating for a worthwhile cause. Also, my lovely boys are usually there cheering and waving which is just lovely.

And this morning's race? I jogged down to the start line from my house just in time for the start and completed the 10k in 50.17. I'm very close to my 2010 target of 49.59 now. I can feel it!

So now I am going to celebrate by eating a full English breakfast cooked especially for me : Bacon, sausage, beans, tomato, toast, fried eggs and mushrooms. Mmmm it's a good life.

Comments

Popular Posts