Watching: The Sinking of the Laconia


I'm enjoying this two-part drama by Alan Bleasdale  based on the true story of the RMS Laconia, which was sunk in 1942 by a German U-Boat. The U-Boat surfaced and against official orders, Commander Werner Hartenstein rescued the survivors - which included women, children, crew and Italian prisoners of war. 
This is the best BBC production I have seen in years and I can't wait for tomorrow night's finale. 
Ken Duken who plays Hartenstein

The story is both touching and important because it marked the end of a code of honour  at sea. Even though the German U-boats who were rescuing these survivors flew the red cross they were attacked  by US bombers. This in turn led to Admiral Dönitz issued the Laconia order which forbade any more mercy rescues. The United States also engaged in unrestricted submarine warfare in the pacific.

Comments

  1. I like these films about epic true stories that happened in history, and not only regarding World War 2. Human testimonies are what I like the most in that kind of stories, showing that most of soldiers - whatever the side in a war - aren't warriors first but just human beings. And maybe I also like that because a question always remains in the back of my mind : what would have I done in this kind of situation?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts