New book : Jonathan Strand & Mr Norrell



Well, I have to admit something. It is an audio book and not a traditional book, simply because the size of the novel is a rather daunting 1024 pages long. No matter that I have 32 hours of listening time instead - my commute to work is 40 minutes each way on the bus plus 15 minutes walk to the office.

Anyway, I'm excited to finally get my hands on this book because I've heard so many great things about Susanna Clarke's fantasy novel about a Yorkshire magician who attempts to return magic to England.

"At the dawn of the nineteenth century, two very different magicians emerge to change England's history. In the year 1806, with the Napoleonic Wars raging on land and sea, most people believe magic to be long dead in England--until the reclusive Mr Norrell reveals his powers, and becomes a celebrity overnight. "
I have to say that it is also nice to have the book set in  my adopted home county - the story begins in York, at the Learned Society of York Magicians, a society made up of academic, gentleman "theoretical" magicians. And this is where the first magic is demonstrated, when Mr Norrell makes the statues around York Minster speak.

Please wish me happy listening..

Comments

Popular Posts