Shrove Tuesday aka Pancake Day

Winter celebrations help with the countdown to Spring. There is always something to look forward to. After Christmas you wait for Valentine's Day and after that, in the UK at least, there is Shrove Tuesday.  I love Pancake day because it  is all about the food. Traditionally in Britain we have eaten pancakes to use up our stores of butter, milk and eggs before Lent.
This year I have gone back to basics. For me, the perfect homemade pancake filling is just lemon juice sprinkled with  sugar. 

Do people still fast over Lent? I practice no religion even though I was brought up Catholic. Maybe it is some latent memory but I think the idea of  temporarily giving up something meaningful to you is a wonderful idea especially from a healthy living point of view. I thought about all my vices pleasures and am going to choose one thing from this list:

  • Chocolate
  • Mini cheddars
  • Playing Goodgame cafe/farmer/fashion
  • Biscuits and cookies
  • Tea
  • Swearing like a navvy when I get angry

Comments

Popular Posts