Holiday planning

Sitting with a guide book on my lap. As you might know we're off for a family holiday to Brittany for a week.    Yes I want it to be relaxing but I want to fit in some sightseeing  AND I have to make sure my little men have a great time as well.

My list of possibilities. Have I left anything out you think? : 
  • Belle-Île-en-Mer. A boat trip and a whole day spent on Brittany's largest island. I especially want to visit Sauzon, the island's second port especially looks so pretty with ice-cream hued fishermen's cottages, a cute lighthouse and a harbour lined with fishing nets and crates of shellfish. Also want to see the needle rock rock formations of Port-Coton which were famously painted by Monet.



  • Carnac.  The alignements de Carnac. The long line of standing stones arranged in three main groups just north of the town. The scale of Carnac's fields of standing stones is impressive. More than 3000 menhirs and other megalithic structures stand within a 4.5km radius. Who put them there and why? Most experts seem to agree that these stones were erected sometime between 4500 and 1800BC and were used for some religious or ritual activity. Some archaeologists believe that they even predate Stonehenge and the Pyramids.

  • Domaine de Kerguéhennec. A visit to a classic 18th century château and now used as a modern sculpture park.
  • Vannes.  The capital city of Morbihan has one of the best-preserved walled "old towns" anywhere in Brittany. I have a nice 2km walk lined up!
  • Rochefort-en-Terre. Step back in time to the 16th and 17th century in award winning village with the claim of being the most beautiful village in France? I want to find out for myself!

  • Food and Drink.  To try the local cider traditionally served in big breakfast cups!!  Pancake fast food - Brittany's speciality. My aim is to try at least 10 new cheeses this holiday which involves practicing my school-girl level French in the market. *Gulp*


  • Le Mont-St-Michel. Maybe we can get the chance to visit the beautiful and world famous island just over the border in Normandy.

Comments

  1. If you can, go to Saint-Malo, the city of corsairs with its surrounding stonewall! ;) Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts